Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A few more weeks to go...

Tomorrow the baby will be 38 weeks! I just thought I'd post a quick update about my doctor's visit today. Everything checked out fine for me - I've gained just about 20 pounds, my blood pressure was 100/68, and there are no signs of protein spilling in my urine. The doctor also checked the baby's heart rate which was exactly where it should be in the 150s. She also measured my belly and said that she thinks the baby "isn't too big" (not small, but saying he/she hasn't grown bigger than they would expect). Finally, she checked and said that the baby's head is settled down in my pelvis where it should stay to be ready to be born.

The last time I went to the doctor's office I had a test done for an infection called Group B Streptococcus (GBS). Many healthy women are colonized with this bacteria without having any active signs of infection which is why they need to be screened for it between 35-37 weeks of gestation. Having this bacteria only is worrisome for women in labor because it poses an infection risk to the baby. Treating women ahead of time hasn't been found to be helpful because the bacteria are likely to come back once the treatment course is over. What this means is that women who test positive will receive IV penicillin during labor to protect the baby - in Pediatrics we consider the baby "safe" if the mom received at least 2 doses of Penicillin at least 4 hours prior to delivery. All of that said, my test was negative so I don't need to worry about treatment.

That's everything for now!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like baby and mom are perfectly ready. I hope the tail end of pregnancy and delivery are smooth as silk! We'll be thinking of you. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete